$show[vbsec2]
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TUTORIAL: 3D-ing in Photoshop

Lightbulb TUTORIAL: 3D-ing in Photoshop

Since most people don't want to shell out $20 for Imandix and the free version only makes low-res versions, I'm posting a tutorial on how to make your boxes 3D in Photoshop. This is just an example using my current latest box.

Since I doubt most of you can get the angle perfect, I've created a template (angle referenced off Imandix) which serves as the plastic for your box.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...-DTemplate.png
    EDIT: Don't use that one, use this one instead: http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/3...nostempnq6.png
    It's much cleaner and high res. Made by Indexenos.

For boxes for other consoles, simply give it a color overlay (i.e. white for Wii boxes).

STEP 1: Sectioning

(Yes, this is what CS1 looks like, no flash photography please.)

Once you have the template scaled to your (2D) box as such, you must split your box into three sectons: Front, spine and back. To do so, select each part and use the Cut tool (Crtl+X).

STEP 2: Skewing

After entering Free Transform mode (Crtl+T), skew (Click and drag corners while holding Ctrl) each individual section to fit the plastic.

When you're done this step, it should look like this.
    NOTE: If you want to, you can stop here, but for a more realistic look, I recommend you continue.

STEP 3: Shine and Shadow

Select the layer transparency of the front (See window), and add a white-to-transparent linear gradient at 15% opacity, from the left of the front halfway through. Rinse and repeat for the back, except with black instead of white.

The spine's slightly different. Go from left to right with the same settings, but with black-to-white.

STEP 4: Reflection

Merge all layers, and duplicate. Flip it vertically, and move it under the original box image. Then go Image > Reveal All.

Separate into three parts and then skew it to line up with the original box image (the back might need to be nudged up a couple pixels). Then cut off approx. 25% of the image at the bottom.

Add a layer mask (See window), and with the layer mask selected, add a black-to-transparent gradient over it at 100% opacity from bottom-to-top. Then make the reflection layer 50% opaque.

And there's our finished product. Feel free to give me feedback on this tutorial.
    Last edited by Star89er; 07-14-2010 at 07:24 AM.

Good job , sticky.

Great tutorial and all but I payed nothing and I have the full version of imandix...downloaded right off their site
    Maybe add a low opacity white-transparent glow on the box in certain places to make it look like light on it

Thanks for the sitcky.
    @Shadow: Really? How? I downloaded it and it has this big "IMADNDIX TRY OUT" bar...

Cool

Nice one Star89er. Nice tut.

Similar to how I make my boxes, although the front and back, I usually use the Perspective transform option... but, does the same thing. Also, to change colour, I use the hue/saturation -- but again, same thing too

Quote Originally Posted by Star89er View Post
    Thanks for the sitcky.
    @Shadow: Really? How? I downloaded it and it has this big "IMADNDIX TRY OUT" bar...
    Great tutorial, very informative.

Did you get it from here? I think this is the one with out the stamp on the box.
    http://www.imandix.com/vers1/enu/lizenzcover.htm

Thanks for the sitcky.
    me too.

and when i do 3d in photoshop i use distort. but this is cool too.

Thanks for the sitcky.
    I don't know. I just downloaded it and it was the full version. Try downloading again
    EDIT: I'm pretty sure I got it from the site Veronica posted

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow the Hedgehog View Post
    I don't know. I just downloaded it and it was the full version. Try downloading again
    EDIT: I'm pretty sure I got it from the site Veronica posted
    I believe an elaboration is in order.

The Standard (Full) version is free, however, it is limited in its resolution size, and overall features.

The Pro version is the one that costs money, and allows you to create imitation 3D images of very high resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSlyder View Post
    I believe an elaboration is in order.

The Standard (Full) version is free, however, it is limited in its resolution size, and overall features.

The Pro version is the one that costs money, and allows you to create imitation 3D images of very high resolution.
    Nope, I can control the output size and the file extension

Where Did You Get It

Nice tutorial. However, I wonder how you would go about making a PS3 template 3D...hmm...

Does Imandix make PS3 boxes 3D with the plastic and all?

Quote Originally Posted by vividamage123 View Post
    Where Did You Get It
    Right off their website :-\
    Google imandix, its the first thing that comes up

Great tutorial! I might just have to try and 3D my next box just for fun

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dersnap View Post
    Nice tutorial. However, I wonder how you would go about making a PS3 template 3D...hmm...

Does Imandix make PS3 boxes 3D with the plastic and all?
    If anybody likes my hand-drawn 3D PS3 box that I use on my PS3 boxarts.. then I can rip out the cover section like '89er's and you lot can follow the same method to recreate a PS3 version.

I have full version Imandix cover Pro..but I never use it because I don't like the angles it makes on the boxes, and when making big 3D boxes like over 2000px wide (which I do) I don't think it looks as good as when I make it myself in 3D. Pro version does make Blu-ray 3D boxes, but obviously it only has the movie style box with the Blu-ray logo on the front top. Only time it's useful for me is for smaller 3D boxes when I'm in a hurry, especially as it creates the reflections as well.

Anyone know if you can do 3D in GIMP? Would be really helpful.

Default Cs3

I have have CS3 extended, and i can't find the transform tool or distort tool. Any help?

I'd be happy to convert this tutorial into GIMP, if thats okay, Star89er

Quote Originally Posted by BiggerBoss View Post
    I have have CS3 extended, and i can't find the transform tool or distort tool. Any help?
    Call up Adobe support, or check the manuals that came on the Photoshop DVDs. They offer a great deal of information on using the program.

Hey awesome tutorial
    but how would you do this on a gameboy advance box?