$show[vbsec2]

Thread: Site is dead?

Default Site is dead?

TBH, I just registered. I was making retro covers at TheCoverProject and was looking for box scans so I could re-type up the original box synopsis for a few games and stumbled my way onto this site. Then I figured I'd browse and ran across several high quality designs I though I may print and use in my personal collection, but found that almost every cover lacked a printable version. I figured this was to promote activity and that if i registered, the printables would become available. However, this wasnt the case. Now im very confused as to what this site even is? The community I came from is all about sharing their work with others so we can all have custom cases for our collections... Here, people seem to worry about their work being stolen and people in the forums say to PM for printables. Some of these works are nearly 10 years old... do you still have high quality source files lying around?

Its been less than an hour since I registered and im reading people saying this site is dead and activity is at an all time low, and I can only say that im not surprised. Was not the goal of this community to share your work with others so they might use it? You cannot monetize the work as it includes IP that doesnt belong to you. So why else make it?

The mentality here confuses me.

Pretty sure people here just make covers for fun, because they like making art. Don't think you really need a point if it's fun. This site thrived for years on this alone.

Most people here do what they do for the sake of creativity. Sometimes users will even abandon conventional methods if it supports their idea. A quick rummage through these portfolios should tell you what I mean. Some people make boxes for games that don't even exist just because it's fun. It's really hard to say the actual motives of everyone on this site, though.

As for the sites death, well, the admin and mods have been AWOL for like, five, six years, and most prevalent designers that inspired people, save for a few exceptions have left, too. To oversimplify things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonicyay2 View Post
    smonk weed niggers ayeeet

I stumbled upon this site by similar means, but joined because I saw it was a way to get feedback on work of my own. I joined this place maybe 4 years ago? I'm not sure at this point, but back then it was slow but active. It's been pretty dead lately. The point of the site is more so to share creativity, then actual printables. As for your inquiry about the request of printables—they were being taken and used as covers for illegal versions of games on foreign sites. No one wanted someone to take their work and profit off it, on top of that by illegal means. Thus why many many put downloads behind a PM.

Also, some people don't create printables to begin with because they just straight up do their creative process on a 72dpi box. Everyone varies. I use to keep my printables behind a PM, but I long ago changed that once things died down.

Sorry you joined something so dead, but the community has long dispersed due to life and age. Some people, like myself, still wander on here occasionally, but lately there isn't much to say or see.

I remember the site being active in 2015/16, around when I joined. It was nice getting feedback on your designs, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen anymore. I'd like to see it become more active again, but I don't think that's going to happen.
    no

Hey guys I'm lively.

I am still here too, not very active but that's not because of the site in general, but because... well, i don't know, i'd say because of my job but I'm not sure, maybe I'm not much into video game covers as I used to do in the past. A similar thing happened to Mub too: he got a job as a graphic designer (like me!) and he doesn't feel like doing vgba because of it. BUT I'M STILL HERE and I made a box art back at December: http://vgboxart.com/view/76426/djmax-respect-cover/

~ New content is coming soon. ~

*stretches arms and yawns*

I have (kinda) returned! Just felt like making some boxes again.

Quote Originally Posted by RunawayRed View Post
    I have (kinda) returned! Just felt like making some boxes again.
    3 returns on the same day, hah.