$show[vbsec2]
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Forum Atmosphere/ Future of the Site

Quote Originally Posted by Paper View Post
    I live for this tasty discourse

tbh the way to increase uploads on the site is to bring back monthly competitions and junk like we easily could be running some summer comp right now, maybe the traditional way of doing competitions is too much effort and we'd work better with a monthly prompt idea instead like no winners or losers just the prompt and the tag.
    i had a thing like this planned but wasnt sure if anyone would care to enter

if anyones still interested ill get the ball rolling

Quote Originally Posted by Huegh View Post

Yeah I'm down

I'd be happy to help out with running future competitions. Have a few prompt ideas that could be used.

cease

If you really want more activity on the site you need more drama. That's why a lot of people came to the site in the good old days. We had some great personalities.
    a la cho

Advocating drama is pointless. If older members who started "drama" came back, the best it would do is bring back a few people who where fans of that person's work. It's not going to bring in new people, or inspire any new art.

Quote Originally Posted by stevencho View Post
    If you really want more activity on the site you need more drama. That's why a lot of people came to the site in the good old days. We had some great personalities.
    the only attention that drama brings is autistic screeching on the forums

This site is crazy. I remember we had to put so much work into our boxes to try to make it into the HOF and now it seems like there are some really amateur designs in there now.

Well any hard work than this hypocrisy will be helpful to improve the performance of the site.
    If you guys have that much time to speak on this topic then you all must try to design some covers and uploading them to the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohit View Post
    Well any hard work than this hypocrisy will be helpful to improve the performance of the site.
    If you guys have that much time to speak on this topic then you all must try to design some covers and uploading them to the site.
    Yes, because the time it takes to write a post or two is exactly equal to the time it takes to make a high quality design.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohit View Post
    id prefer artists be passionate about their designs rather than upload as many as they can as an excuse to be 'active'

fact is if theres no passion, theres no activity. most of the ppl here have lost their passion

Yea. It just seems are just uploading anything instead of asking for feedback in the forums. I've left feedback on quite a few designs and no changes were made and no lessons were learn. I will continue to leave feedback but sometimes it feels like you're talking to a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by jevangod View Post
    This site is crazy. I remember we had to put so much work into our boxes to try to make it into the HOF and now it seems like there are some really amateur designs in there now.
    My thoughts exactly. I'm sorry, but some of the covers that get into HOF don't deserve to be in there. But I guess new users don't know the quality of boxes that used to be uploaded years ago (remember Draxx, MARKER, ELCrazy, dmshaposv...just to name a few).

Quote Originally Posted by super-mega-hyper-sonic View Post
    Yes, because the time it takes to write a post or two is exactly equal to the time it takes to make a high quality design.
    LOL my thoughts exactly! Making a box =/= writing a forum post

Quote Originally Posted by jevangod View Post
    Yea. It just seems are just uploading anything instead of asking for feedback in the forums. I've left feedback on quite a few designs and no changes were made and no lessons were learn. I will continue to leave feedback but sometimes it feels like you're talking to a wall.
    This is the unfortunate nature of things. The only people who will take your feedback into account are those who don't need to improve as much. "Casual" posters who go at their own pace, sometimes have a communication barrier and are just posting boxes they've already made for kicks cannot be relied on to revive the site. In fact, they are a cause of the "problems" everyone is talking about, especially good boxes being shifted off the front page too quickly.

You cannot have the three things at once. If you want to stop boosting, if you want to stop rubbish boxes being posted, it's very easy. Ban the majority of the site and vet every single new user as they turn up, turning them away if they're not willing to accept critique until they are of a high enough skill level; this would effectively grind the website to a halt. However, if you want a more active community, you will have to deal with the other two problems. We will have to live with it. I cannot think of any other solutions.

As a community, we are very proud and elitist, and that has to just stop and we have to accept that not everyone should be of equal skill level and not everyone has the same reason for posting. If you really care about the site, then you have to appreciate that not all boxes you post will have a large amount of attention like there used to be when the site had higher traffic. We will have to deal with the fact that the rating system can be abused by having lots of friends. Favourites and views, are for the most part, worthless. What I think has value is comments from other designers, and let's face it, we have author favourites for this reason. You could ignore the front page problem by just author favouriting anyone whose designs you like. Comments along the lines of "this is good", as you find on most boxes on the site, are meaningless; a good critique is worth more than any favourite could ever be, because it shows that someone just isn't going along with the crowd and hitting a button, but they care enough to spend their time looking at your work against the odds and writing something meaningful just for you.

Doing this, we can make boosting into the hall of fame and high-throughput of boxes on the front page a non-problem, but I doubt anyone would just accept it.
    Last edited by Sarashi; Yesterday at 07:00 PM.