$show[vbsec2]
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forum Atmosphere/ Future of the Site

Question Forum Atmosphere/ Future of the Site

Hello,

Essentially I am starting this thread because I get a certain 'feeling' about this site past and present and due to the fact that I am relatively new to the site, I would like the opinions of those who have been active here longer than I have.

Looking at the past activity on this site from previous years I feel that nowadays there are less active users and it may be creating a negative spiral where people eventually lose hope in the site and stop posting (leading to less members still) because to be frank when I, for example, post a work in progress link and ask for critique, I half expect not to get any. Obviously this may/ may not be the real issue but it's how I perceive the site at the moment.

I believe that this site is an amazing place that allows people to work together and learn from one another in improving their creative skills, however, I feel the site may not be living up to its full potential.

What I really want to know from you guys is what do you think we can do about it? I'd love to be active on the site as it was in its heyday (if you want to phrase it as such) when there were frequent competitions and lots of active users. Any ideas would be much appreciated and maybe we could all work together to get the site to where we all, I assume, wish it would be at.

Thanks everyone,

zorbic.

I think the chance of getting this site how it was a decade ago is going to be nigh impossible. Everyone old has moved on, almost everyone new is just part of the Iranian circle jerk (have you seen some of the garbage in HoF recently?) and what new members we do get can't get any help to improve because there's no one else here. Doesn't help we have no active admins or mods around to help solve issues such as all the iranian boosting and stuff. As far as I'm concerned, this site is pretty much dead. It'd take a massive influx of new people to rejuvenate it, and I don't see that happening at all.

Quote Originally Posted by super-mega-hyper-sonic View Post
    I think the chance of getting this site how it was a decade ago is going to be nigh impossible. Everyone old has moved on, almost everyone new is just part of the Iranian circle jerk (have you seen some of the garbage in HoF recently?) and what new members we do get can't get any help to improve because there's no one else here. Doesn't help we have no active admins or mods around to help solve issues such as all the iranian boosting and stuff. As far as I'm concerned, this site is pretty much dead. It'd take a massive influx of new people to rejuvenate it, and I don't see that happening at all.
    Not to mention all the good new boxes are getting ignored for the most part and the main site is being filled with trash. I think if more people actually paid attention to the main site and the good boxes then more people would rejuvenate it at least a little bit.

The administrator, Reed probably could have helped by hosting more competitions, rebalancing the hall of fame (the low activity on the site means it's probably harder than it should be) To be honest I don't even know if he visits. An attempt at a revamp is the best hope really.

Quote Originally Posted by super-mega-hyper-sonic View Post
    almost everyone new is just part of the Iranian circle jerk (have you seen some of the garbage in HoF recently?)
    This is actually a pretty big reason I straight up started ignoring the front page, to the point of ignoring notifications from followed artists.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentLampshade View Post
    This is actually a pretty big reason I straight up started ignoring the front page, to the point of ignoring notifications from followed artists.
    But by ignoring the front page, you end up missing out on the really good boxes that people put a lot of effort and time into and then they just sit there not getting any attention and it feels like time wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve8492 View Post
    But by ignoring the front page, you end up missing out on the really good boxes that people put a lot of effort and time into and then they just sit there not getting any attention and it feels like time wasted.
    I think this raises a good point. If we want the feel of the site to change we have to be active in trying to change it. Rather than ignoring all boxes, maybe we should be focusing on giving good feedback and encouragement to those people who work really hard and who are also trying to make the site a nicer place by posting positive feedback for other members. Thoughts?

I don't know about everyone, but at least for me, the reason why I don't visit/post often is because graphic design just isn't interesting for me anymore. My joining of VGBA was my start of my graphic design endeavours and so it makes sense that once I stop those, I stop visiting VGBA as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarashi View Post
    I don't know about everyone, but at least for me, the reason why I don't visit/post often is because graphic design just isn't interesting for me anymore. My joining of VGBA was my start of my graphic design endeavours and so it makes sense that once I stop those, I stop visiting VGBA as well.
    That makes sense.
    Maybe there is something that would reignite interest for some older members but in many cases, when you've had enough of something it's difficult to regain interest.
    So perhaps we need to be doing something to actively attract new members?

Quote Originally Posted by zorbic View Post
    That makes sense.
    Maybe there is something that would reignite interest for some older members but in many cases, when you've had enough of something it's difficult to regain interest.
    So perhaps we need to be doing something to actively attract new members?
    This is a rather niche website to be honest, and graphic designing is something few people are able to do competently when they start. Unfortunately what we do in these cases is call them "crappy boxes", insult them and/or ignore them. As a result, people stop posting after one or two pretty basic boxes thinking that this site is toxic and elitist (which I must say, we are to a fair degree).
    Okay, so change the strategy, and give them lots of attention to try and keep them. Now there's no reason for them to improve, they already the attention get what they came here for, and then some people will start saying "oh they're giving this rubbish user lots of attention, they must be in cahoots" and a whole group will be shunned.
    If you're wondering what happens when we try and be nice and give honest critique and help to new users- they'll just stop after they realise how much work it is and that the most we can do about their actual objective skill is point to photoshop tutorials and self-study. In the rare chance that they'll stay, then it'll take a long time before their ability comes to the point that they make decent boxes and get that "rejuvenation" effect you want.

So we change the strategy and instead of aiming for randoms, we'll get our friends in to rejuvenate the site- oh wait, then there'll be this "circlejerk" that everyone seems to be against. Once again, the community itself shuns new members. In the first place, how many graphic design friends does everyone have?

You could try and capture another community's attention, but then again, how many box art communities are there, and how many are desperate enough that VGBA is less dead then them?

So where do we go? What happens? The answer is nothing. This site was screwed from the get-go.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Sarashi again.

Couldn't agree more with every single one of the points presented.

A minimal effort from newcomers, some basic constructive criticism (with maybe suggestions to improve) and a lack of skilled artists that flow by regularly, are just some of the basic things that really got lost on the main page of VGBA imo. Slapping pictures on templates, is the way to go (I just remember the good old days....)

Circlejerk faves that results in a HOF, that seems to be the trend on the main page these days (not that anyone is around, too care that much though)

The resource section is still pretty top notch at least.

I just think videogame box art isn't as popular these days with the rise of digital downloads ect

I know the circle-jerking is a turn off for many people, but it is not the big issue. The main problem is that there isn't many active users on here. I wasn't really around during the heyday myself, but I try to make it a habit to check the site daily (though lately it's been difficult to, due to personal affairs).

Looking back to when the prime time of this site was, it was around the time that social media was really starting to emerge. These days it's places like Facebook, Tumblr, and Twitter that keep people occupied and give them a space to post things too. The site was created to be a niche for those interested in designing video game boxes primarily, but a lot of people don't really have the time or interest any more. I know you've asked how we can solve this issue, but as Sarashi pointed out, the site seemed doomed from the get-go.

Personally, yes, I would love to be more active in doing boxarts and what not, but they take a great deal of time especially when juggling personal affairs and other side projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Paper View Post
    I just think videogame box art isn't as popular these days with the rise of digital downloads ect
    http://www.steamgriddb.com/

we migrating now

Heyday suckerpunch post --

I started out no better/worse than the last two pages of submissions on the main site combined in my beginning years... and, one thing's for sure, there could be someone who could become a top-notch designer but isn't being pushed to that point because no one provides constructive criticism. Not even rude comments, which I personally remember during my time as a preliminary, being better than none at all.

With that said, the more we sit here and complain about the fact that no one participates on the main anymore, the more reason our administrator has in just saying "eff this" and disposing of it, given that it used to be every one comment that made a difference over the grand scheme.

Would you not agree, my fellow designers of this time, that Reed would rather be sifting through annoying, "mean" comments that had at least some constructive value than seeing us complain of the lack of activity, given that we are simultaneously directing our attention to the forums (and only there) of a "dying" website?

Even now, my problem is we can't both complain about the condition of the site and party our asses off with shitposts in the forums. The amount of comments that we are devoting to the WiP are decreasing as time passes (but I will not take credit away from those who have been dutifully) and the boxes on the main aren't going to get better. If we want more members, naturally, we should be giving the attention to those who have been trying to get ours by consistent posting of "shite" boxes, which again, aren't going to improve if we complain and ignore them. We know where to start, but we refuse to proceed as a site and that's what's gonna kill us.

My two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Huegh View Post
    Hey Dan can you explain this? Not really sure what I'm seeing here.

Quote Originally Posted by Martiniii332 View Post
    I believe it was a joke playing off of this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Paper View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Martiniii332 View Post
    website for uploading/downloading custom banners to use in steam grid view

half joking half serious, it definitely applies to the same sort of hobby we got here, but its a lot less to work with so its a lot less interesting

I don't think it's just social media or more downloadable games or members leaving which has killed the site, those things happened a few years ago. I think negligence is a big part of it, you go in the forums for example, 'activity stream' comes up before all the sub forums, and there was way too many sub forums, and on the main page you don't even have a Nintendo switch section. New members probably get discouraged from contributing if it looks like other people can't be bothered.