VISIT OUR NEW SISTER SITE
Introducing PosterMason! It's like VGBA, but for posters. Check it out and start submitting your work.

Thread: Tales of Phantasia (GBA in a DS case) WIP

Default Tales of Phantasia (GBA in a DS case) WIP

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...nd-d4yst97.png

Not the most brilliant idea I've ever had, but I just got a copy of Tales of Phantasia and unfortunately I had no where to put it, but as luck would have it I found an empty DS case the other day and totally forgot about it.

I decided to make my own variation on a DS template that I found here that was made by Sarashi, I didn't do much to change the overall design. I only changed the DS logo on the cover and spine to read "Nintendo GBA". And I also changed the back to have GBA related info instead of DS Wi-fi info

All of the text, rendering, the Namco dev logo, barcode, and screenshot borders were done by me.

Although the borders do kinda look like they could use some reworking.

[This was heavily inspired by the official US GBA cover to Tales of Phantasia]
    US Tales of Phantasia GBA Box scan: http://i.imgur.com/q3MhM.jpg
    Last edited by D_Nikolaos; 05-06-2012 at 08:14 AM. Reason: updated link after fixing spelling error
    |VGBA Page|W - I - P|DA Page|Steam|

Take a look: Comment, Critique, and if you want +Fav.

WHOA, good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Throavium View Post
    WHOA, good job.
    Thanks, it's great to hear positive feedback! XD
    I'm just not sure on the size, since I want to print this out, I think that I may have made the whole thing a tad too large. lol
    Last edited by D_Nikolaos; 05-06-2012 at 05:35 AM.

Default minor update

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...nd-d4yst97.png

Fixed some minor errors I saw in my renders, a few stray pixels here and there are now gone, and I centered the title logo on the cover. I removed a portion of the legal text on the bottom that stated DS information, moved the other text accordingly, and also changed the "Made in Japan" to "Made in US". I also corrected a minor spelling error I made; I noticed that I spelled "Saga" as "sage". lol
    Last edited by D_Nikolaos; 05-06-2012 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Took care of some more stray pixels and updated teh link

Cool WIP Update - Presentation

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...nd-d4yst97.png

Alright, presentation is done!
    I really wanted to include Dhaos on this boxart, but every image if him I had clashed too much with the artstyle of the renders I made. So I made him the presentation, and I feel that I captured his foreboding presence pretty well. And as an added touch I tried to make his eye glow (or at least just stand out, although I'm not sure if it stands out too much or if it's just right.).

Does anyone think that this needs further editing, or is it done and ready to post on the main site?

btw if anyone wants to know the font I used for both my name and on the box in general, is called "GAMECUBEN"
    Last edited by D_Nikolaos; 05-06-2012 at 08:11 AM.

This came out nice. Clean and well presented. Back's a little barren, but no other issues as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by D_Nikolaos View Post
    [This was heavily inspired by the official US GBA cover to Tales of Phantasia]
    US Tales of Phantasia GBA Box scan: http://i.imgur.com/q3MhM.jpg
    My Rendition: http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...nd-d4yst97.png
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleiades View Post
    This came out nice. Clean and well presented. Back's a little barren, but no other issues as far as I can tell.
    Thanks a lot for the feedback! I'm glad that it came out well enough that other's like it. When I originally started on this I was kinda scared that this was going to get bashed for not being very original or creative, I was also afraid that I'd f@#ked up the dimensions of the presentation again too lol ^^;

Alright well I just found out that the image of Dhoas I used actually wasn't an official art scan, but someone else's work, I've sent them a message asking if I can continue using it for this, but as of now I'm going to look for a possible alternate presentation background.

Thumbs up I've been given the green light

I've received confirmation from the original artist of the Dhaos image used in the background presentation that I can continue to use it.

Other than that Does anyone else have anything left to comment on, such as things that could be reworked, fiddled with, edited, moved, added, etc.

Back's a little barren
    Would an added render or re-placement of the screenshots help with that in anyway?
    I was thinking of making the screens cascade like steps towards the image, but the linear look is nice too.
    As for the render I was thinking about rendering this image of Chester http://static.zerochan.net/full/42/24/298742.jpg out and placing it beside/behind Cress, any thoughts anyone?

Alright well I've been fiddling with rendering out Chester and placing him beside Cless/Cress, and this is what I've gotten thus far. I think it looks alright, but the angle that his image is at kinda throws it off.

I'm working on another render of both of them together, it's from an add for the anime, I'll see how that works out after resizing and adding the fadeout gradient.

Please tell me what you think

Original:

Alternate Back:

Could you use an official template? That's about the only thing I'm not liking about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderpig24 View Post
    Could you use an official template? That's about the only thing I'm not liking about this.
    What do you mean?
    Are there DS styled GBA templates?
    Nevermind I looked and found one by sd1833, I'll upload it in a min, just need to let it finish saving first.
    And actually I would like to thank you, I was having some issues fitting in the new render of Chester/Cress, but with this template they fit perfectly! XD

Alright! So, what does everyone think of it now?

This looks better. Fills out some space while staying true to the original.

This looks better. Fills out some space while staying true to the original.
    Thanks again for your feedback, I also agree this one looks a lot better, I was only a smidgen disappointed that I had to remove the render I had made previously. But honestly this one looks a lot better; and it doesn't make the box look like a blatant redo/update as the previous one did. (not to say the other render was bad, I really liked how it turned out! XD)

Does anyone else think that there is anything further I should work on before moving on to redo my presentation?

Cool New Presentation

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...nd-d4yst97.png

What does everyone think?
    I also made a cartridge to go along with it, but I felt that it would clutter up the image and get in the way.