VISIT OUR NEW SISTER SITE
Introducing PosterMason! It's like VGBA, but for posters. Check it out and start submitting your work.

Thread: Staying inspired...

Default Staying inspired...

I'm kind of reluctant to post this here, but it'll probably be for the best... i guess. Anyway i was watching a video on cinemassacre, about james rolfe (avgn) about how he started out with making movies, and how he's still going to this day.
    so basically i'm just wondering, what drives most of you to keep creating? This can be an amazingly creative site, so for those of you who actively create these different things, how do you stay inspired? What keeps you going, or holding you back? how do you juggle life and creativity? this can be applicable to anything, really; life, music, art, design WHATEVER... all i want to know is how you stay inspired? How do you hold onto the dream, or whatever? Just talk about whatever it is you actually do / want to do...
    for me i want to create original art, as in drawings, stories (comics, etc) with my own original characters, settings etc. i just dont know how to manage time and energy.
    so whats your perspective?
    Last edited by b/r/o/k/e/n; 04-30-2012 at 06:58 PM.

Comedy.

I'd like to point out that my sense of humor on the site is not actually my real sense of humor. I'm into witty humor, jokes that really make you think. I only laugh at dick jokes ironically, even though that makes me sound like I have an ego. I'm very VERY interested in going into stand up comedy, and it has been a dream of mine for many years now. I'm also into writing sitcoms. I've already written 2 pilots and I'm currently writing another. I think right now comedy is the only thing pushing me to continue life. I'm not old enough to start stand up comedy now, but I'm being patient about it. In the mean time I'm writing stand up material and creating sitcoms. Some people that inspire me comedy wise are Louis C.K, Donald Glover, Tina Fey, Dan Hermon, and Bo Burnham.

tl;dr: I want to say jokes for a living.

It has been soooo long since I was artistically inspired. I used to be able to churn out great designs, but these days I can sit and stare at the blank page for weeks and never come up with something I like. My brain's completely fried... too much stress, too much anger, too much worry, too much fear. I'm burnt out. Whether it be boxarts, comics, anything... I feel like I'm scraping the bottom of a dry well whenever I try to create things now.

When I heard a really good song I think "Man... I really want to get to this level. I got to keep working on my stuff."

reading

I'm gonna test this: Wasa-bi.
    Profile | Steam | Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Tumblr

Boredom, trying to present things that seem interesting, trying to create a path for later in life.

My family. The real reason I am writing is one close to my heart, my family and myself in general aren't what you would call rich. We live in a bad economy, not many of us have money and we rely on one another to keep going. My grandfather for example, is one of the best men you're ever likely to meet. A milkman who has been shit on by his company, who make him work 17 hours a day, monday through saturday, delivering to over 500 houses per day for the same money he was on 30 years ago. I help him, 7 hours a day every day just to make sure he isn't as tired as he used to be. I quit my job to help him out. He'd help anyone out if they needed it.

All I want to do is make enough money to see my family secure for the rest of their lives. To help out my grandfather, give him some money to fall back on when he retires. Help my parents, my brothers and sister. That is all I want to do, that is my inspiration and that is what drives me to write every single day in hope that one day I will make enough money to make everyone else happy.

That is why I write, that is what keeps me going and that's all I need.

Also, inspiration comes in many forms. If you have an idea, flesh it out. If it sucks, at least you tried.
    Last edited by Leegion; 05-01-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Trying new things and not doing the same things over and over again. I listen to new music, watch new movies, play new games, hang with new people. There's nothing wrong with having some nostalgia, but when it comes to being constantly inspired you have to live your life as a constant exploration.
    a la cho

Everyone with a spare 20 minutes should listen to this: