VISIT OUR NEW SISTER SITE
Introducing PosterMason! It's like VGBA, but for posters. Check it out and start submitting your work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Man of Steel

I did not come up with the overall design shape. I vectorized the original, enlarged everything, and then adjusted shapes, textures and colors to meet my own desirable outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Crotale View Post
    I did not come up with the overall design shape. I vectorized the original, enlarged everything, and then adjusted shapes, textures and colors to meet my own desirable outcome.
    Even so, it's still admirable work.

Quote Originally Posted by Pleiades View Post
    Even so, it's still admirable work.
    Thanks. It's still my own work, I just didn't come up with the design. I mean, if I drew an apple, I still did the work, but did not design the shape of the original. That makes sense, right?

Don't think I was trying to discredit you in any way, I was just making sure that everyone knows you didn't really come up with the concept, because some of them seemed to be under that impression. You did a really fantastic job!

Quote Originally Posted by Crotale View Post
    Thanks. It's still my own work, I just didn't come up with the design. I mean, if I drew an apple, I still did the work, but did not design the shape of the original. That makes sense, right?
    Of course, I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Magical View Post
    Don't think I was trying to discredit you in any way, I was just making sure that everyone knows you didn't really come up with the concept, because some of them seemed to be under that impression. You did a really fantastic job!
    Thanks. I am tired, so I probably misread your comments.

Saw this on Deviantart, really nice job!

Though it seems to me like the logo needs to stand out more from the background, especially around the edges. Maybe come contrast adjustments, or using a different texture for the actual logo, because at places it looks like you just laid one texture over the whole image.
    See how in the official logo there is that slight, bright, white edging across the top? Those little details make it stand out more.

Also, unless the logo is quite far away from the background, the drop shadow wouldn't be so blurred with lighting source you have going. It looks like you tried some smaller lighting additions on the logo, but then turned down the opacity so the white looks faded. It would look more realistically lit if you bumped up the opacity on those light areas, like you have the top of the logo.

Here's a really quick mockup of what I mean: Basically I just added a thicker drop shadow, made some lighting adjustments, and played around with the Dodge/Burn tool to add some depth with highlights and shadows.

Now of course these are all my own opinions, and I would hope you don't take them harshly, but after seeing some of your other pieces, I feel you can do better! Keep up the great work!

Also, I'm a big fan of Batman, and the logo idea someone brought up earlier sounds really fun, I might try my hand at it!
    Last edited by del337er; 04-10-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks for the feedback.

While I get what you are saying about the lighting, most of my lighting and textures effects here are as intended for artistic reasons and not supposed to portray realistic lighting effects. The well light underside of the logo top is supposed to have its own "glow" if you will, kinda like it is organic in nature. Didi you notice the glow also invokes an immediate green glow on the background texture? Yeah, I went there. The darker edges of the logo are meant to portray a darker drawdown, since the movie is supposed to be a darker version of the Superman saga.

I left the brighter parts of the background more lit for contrast. The similar textures are by design: to emulate a solid yet detached logo on the surface.

I played around with the overall contrast, vibrance and clarity last night in order to bring out the logo even more, similar to your modified version. I am not sure the higher contrast is better or simply different. I'll upload it when I get home tonight.

I realized from the onset that the lighting I have intended may be a bit confusing to some, but at times, I feel the need to move away from realism and simply go with "ooh, pretty" instead. Call me crazy, if you will.

Oh, and I'm not a fan of the darker shadow around the logo on your version. It's too dark now and looks forced. I think the softer shadow is more effective.

I want to love this, but I'm just not a fan of the texture layer that you put on. It reminds me too much of animal print fur, which I do not feel fits with Superman at all. I'm sorry I can't offer more feedback or elaboration on my problem with it, but the texture simply bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariolee View Post
    I want to love this, but I'm just not a fan of the texture layer that you put on. It reminds me too much of animal print fur, which I do not feel fits with Superman at all. I'm sorry I can't offer more feedback or elaboration on my problem with it, but the texture simply bothers me.
    Not sure what to say here. For one, I choose the texture based on my own ideas. It is basically a cloud filter processed through a liquid distortion map with some added brushwork.

Not everyone is going to like every piece of work an artist creates, and if I thought otherwise, I'd be in a world of hurt. I generally like to make my work more realistic and fitting to a specific ideal or design, but every once in a while, I like to stray from the norms.

Wow, no comments on the new pic. I'll take that as a, "It sucks, dude. Give it up already."

Uh...it's been up for less than a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by nothing94 View Post
    You guys are just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Uh...it's been up for less than a day.
    It was up long enough for a comment. I thought I'd share, but it was evidently uninspiring to others.

Oh well, it looks good on my desktop. And that really is all that matters.

Wow, don't you think you're over reacting abit?

I saw it and thought it was great. I just don't comment and I'm sure there are others who think the same. Maybe people just haven't gotten around to viewing it.

Don't take it that's it's bad.

It was an action based on inaction. No more, no less.

Thanks for the compliment on the image.

Was the image deleted? I can't seem to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderpig24 View Post
    I can still see it in the edit history.

It looks good Crotale. More comic-like.
    a la cho

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderpig24 View Post
    I'll put it back up, just for you.

Quote Originally Posted by stevencho View Post

Really? Thanks.

Here it is, again, for those who missed it earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by stevencho View Post

Yeah I saw the edit history but didn't see the image, just the text he edited out.

As for the image, I happen to like it better than the previous artwork you did. Very eye-opening and the colors are fitting as well, you also did a great job with the lighting. And as Stevencho said, it's got a pretty awesome comic book feel to it.

Edit: Yeah, just found it Cho. I forgot to click the "Last edited by Crotale" link :/

Thanks, SP. I was going for a more comic bookish style.