VISIT OUR NEW SISTER SITE
Introducing PosterMason! It's like VGBA, but for posters. Check it out and start submitting your work.

Page 46 of 74 FirstFirst ... 36424344454647484950 56 ... LastLast

Thread: Last game you played/bought + Rating [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

Quote Originally Posted by roza View Post
    I always get it after the fear. By the tree that's identical to the one on the right in the Ocelot battle. Just lay a few mouse traps, head back to the ware house, go out and it should be there
    Thanks. I'll try that once I get there. Getting it this play through doesn't matter much, anyway... I'm not gonna be using weapons much on my next. I'll just have to remember to get it next time if I can't on this play through.

Quote Originally Posted by Leegion View Post
    Greg Miller, the IGNorant reviewer from IGN
    LOL, I've also bought the game Prototype 2 (Radnet Edition) from ebay for around $45, still waiting it to be delivered though.

Last edited by Bastart; 04-29-2012 at 08:10 AM.

Went old school this weekend with a few classics.

Resident Evil 2 & Resident Evil 3

It was a rather slow weekend, nothing is coming out in the next few weeks that interests me so I've been digging through my old Playstation games. Got a few I'll play in the coming weeks, including Crash Bandicoot, Soul Reaver, Medievil and Medievil 2.

RE2&3 = 8.2/10/10 & 8.5/10

Haven't finished it yet, but I've played more than enough to form an opinion.

Dark Souls - 5/5

Just as good as its predecessor, Demon's Souls, albeit not nearly as creepy and unsettling as the original.

+ Estus Flask. Didn't like it at first, but I got used to it. It's nice to have a large supply of reliable healing items, especially since they replenish at checkpoints.

+ Callbacks to Demon's Souls. Patches the Hyena in Tomb of the Giants, the rolling skeletons in the Catacombs, Ornstein and Smough essentially being Penetrator and Tower Knight respectively, and even Phalanx appearing as a miniboss in the Painted World of Ariamis.

+ Bonfires. More common checkpoints as opposed to only the Nexus in DeS is refreshing. Huge relief every time I see one.

+ The story/characters. Story's never been a primary part of the series, but there's something about DS's which is just really cool. I love the idea of Gwyn, Nito, Quelaag, and Seath taking on the dragons (the opening sequence is especially epic) and the characters like Solaire really make the story in this one shine over the previous one's. What was the story in DeS, anyway?

+ Bosses. Like Demon's Souls, each boss is extremely memorable and bad ass looking, not to mention much more difficult than DeS's. My personal favorites: Capra Demon, Gaping Dragon, Pinwheel, Gravelord Nito, Dragonslayer Ornstein (Smough looks dumb), Centipede Demon, and Bed of Chaos. My absolute favorite is Sif, though.

+ Aesthetics. The environments are varied and god damn gorgeous, from the "high fantasy" inspired Undead Burg/Parish, to the dark and grim Darkroot areas, to the grand and beautiful Anor Londo. I absolutely love that you can see the other areas from almost anywhere, such as being able to look up and see Undead Parish in Undead Burg, and glancing over to see Demon Ruins in the far distance from The Tomb of the Giants.

- Lack of creepiness. One of my favorite things from Demon's Souls. Boletaria was barren and grim, Stonefang was sinister and dark, Latria gothic and horrific, Shrine of Storms dangerous and crawling with enemies, and Valley of Defilement rife with disease and creatures. The only places I'd describe as creepy in Dark Souls are Tomb of the Giants and Lower New Londo Ruins. Kind of disappointing in that area.

- Twinks. Not a fault of From or Namco, but being invaded at a low level by a cheater is no fun.

- Tomb of the Giants. Worst. Area. Ever.

If anyone's interested I also gave Demon's Souls a 5/5.
    Last edited by Daemon; 05-05-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Trials Evolution 4/5

Assassin's Creed II, Brotherhood, Revelations, Generic Subtitle

You know? You know what? I am honestly sick of everyone telling me to play these games after I say I did not like the first one because it felt slow, boring, too long and the story was such stupid bullshit it made my head hurt. So I just finally caved into my friends' rising demands as he and many others over the internet who probably think the PS2 is a retro games console have this nasty habit of portraying these games as the best narrative in gaming history. Actually no, I can post several accounts from all over the internet and real life of people saying that.

Here I am, after playing supposedly "the best narrative in video games". And you know what? That is such a bunch of fucking bullshit. These games are terribly designed messes masquerading behind two minutes of Wikipedia research they try to hide as a story. You can tell I am very mad at these games. Why? Because I wasted a good few hours of my life I could have spent doing more productive things like doing my job or getting around to figuring out what that thing on the end of a shoelace is called(aglet, btw).

Let me first address the gameplay, The gameplay itself is actually not that bad. Until you keep doing the same thing over and over again and again and again until you say "hey, did they change ANYTHING at all?" then someone comes up to you and tells you you can ride Gondolas and a stupid glider that can't fly in real life, and that is somehow considered an improvement from look at a horses ass all the time. Then they go "wait wait wait! The combat is more complex now" and I always say "You mean the thing where I just disarm them in the most easiest timed combat challenge of all time(PUN!) and instakill each of them even when they see their buddies died the same way they were trying?". Hell, about a good portion of the games I wasn't even trying to win a fight and I still managed to come out victorious. Oh and I can also hire some NPCs but I really didn't even give a shit by then. Later on they added a Tower Defense thing and you know what I hate more than tower defense mini-games in games? Fucking nothing. They are terrible and no one likes them unless they are done really, really well.

Let's talk story then, where these turds "shine", apparently. I wouldn't know because I'm not sure these games even had a story. Yeah they mouthed some information off a Wikipedia page and some crazy conspiracy website, called it a day and people seemed to commend their genius. I do hope genius as in they just wrote a story with no narrative in it and somehow got rich, not genius as in "holy shit people like this shit". We follow Desmond, a screaming howler monkey that has been genetically modified to look like a human. To say how much I don't like Desmond is like saying how much new coke sucked. Anyway, Desmond teams up with a giant ape trying to pass off as a woman and they go to their marry bunch's hideout where two characters that you will forget about later on reside. They link him up to the plot device to relive the memories of an Italian assassin. You know what? The more I type this, the more it feels like one of those self insert fanfics of original characters you find on parts of deviantART that you can't mention in good company. Anyway Ezio does some stuff until they bother to tell us that the antagonist is a grossly inaccurate version of Rodrigo Borgia who carries a macguffin- I mean a "Piece of Macgu"- Fuck, let's just call it "Thing That Continues the Plot(Or Lack There Of)". Then; something something mildly retarded Adam and Eve analogy, and there we go. Oh and something about ancient astronauts but seriously I don't even give a shit any more. Some other stuff happened in the other two games too. If you know what please tell me I am scared that these games are so uninteresting that my brain has started to delete memories to spare itself.

The amount of times they try to go "HEY LOOK A HISTORICAL REFERENCE, WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE" makes me feel that these folks were REALLY trying too hard to be intelligent. Seriously the motherfucking puzzles are just old ancient paintings and glyphs, that's how bad they want to believe they are being intelligent. It's not, it's just jarring and cumbersome, it's literally the narrative equivalent of a child saying "LOOK AT ME MOMMY" while the mother drinks her regret away for bringing that bastard spawn into existence. Half of the "accuracies" in this game feel like and were probably a dude at a burger king browsing the Wikipedia page for historical conspiracies and the Renaissance. It's not even melded well to the plot, half of it IS just "HEY THIS GUY WAS A HISTORICAL FIGURE, LOOK!" awkwardly thrown in the middle of the story.

Now, now, calm the fuck down. Let me sidestep here by saying that Reviews(Or in this case, my two cents) are opinion pieces and you can like this "game" all you want. It's just that I would not want to meet you in person because I prefer staying awake during a conversation. Oh and you smell. Bad. Oh and please don't regard this as "oh it's just Mub trolling" because when I take the time to type something this long, it's usually serious.

I'd end this with a joke rating in bold letters to mock the entire idea of numerically rating something subjective, but it really it's not even worth a joke rating. Wait fuck does that count as one? Anyway, yeah fuck these games.

I'm gonna test this: Wasa-bi.
    Profile | Steam | Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by mchapra View Post
    Assassin's Creed II, Brotherhood, Revelations, Generic Subtitle

You know? You know what? I am honestly sick of everyone telling me to play these games after I say I did not like the first one because it felt slow, boring, too long and the story was such stupid bullshit it made my head hurt. So I just finally caved into my friends' rising demands as he and many others over the internet who probably think the PS2 is a retro games console have this nasty habit of portraying these games as the best narrative in gaming history. Actually no, I can post several accounts from all over the internet and real life of people saying that.

Here I am, after playing supposedly "the best narrative in video games". And you know what? That is such a bunch of fucking bullshit. These games are terribly designed messes masquerading behind two minutes of Wikipedia research they try to hide as a story. You can tell I am very mad at these games. Why? Because I wasted a good few hours of my life I could have spent doing more productive things like doing my job or getting around to figuring out what that thing on the end of a shoelace is called(aglet, btw).

Let me first address the gameplay, The gameplay itself is actually not that bad. Until you keep doing the same thing over and over again and again and again until you say "hey, did they change ANYTHING at all?" then someone comes up to you and tells you you can ride Gondolas and a stupid glider that can't fly in real life, and that is somehow considered an improvement from look at a horses ass all the time. Then they go "wait wait wait! The combat is more complex now" and I always say "You mean the thing where I just disarm them in the most easiest timed combat challenge of all time(PUN!) and instakill each of them even when they see their buddies died the same way they were trying?". Hell, about a good portion of the games I wasn't even trying to win a fight and I still managed to come out victorious. Oh and I can also hire some NPCs but I really didn't even give a shit by then. Later on they added a Tower Defense thing and you know what I hate more than tower defense mini-games in games? Fucking nothing. They are terrible and no one likes them unless they are done really, really well.

Let's talk story then, where these turds "shine", apparently. I wouldn't know because I'm not sure these games even had a story. Yeah they mouthed some information off a Wikipedia page and some crazy conspiracy website, called it a day and people seemed to commend their genius. I do hope genius as in they just wrote a story with no narrative in it and somehow got rich, not genius as in "holy shit people like this shit". We follow Desmond, a screaming howler monkey that has been genetically modified to look like a human. To say how much I don't like Desmond is like saying how much new coke sucked. Anyway, Desmond teams up with a giant ape trying to pass off as a woman and they go to their marry bunch's hideout where two characters that you will forget about later on reside. They link him up to the plot device to relive the memories of an Italian assassin. You know what? The more I type this, the more it feels like one of those self insert fanfics of original characters you find on parts of deviantART that you can't mention in good company. Anyway Ezio does some stuff until they bother to tell us that the antagonist is a grossly inaccurate version of Rodrigo Borgia who carries a macguffin- I mean a "Piece of Macgu"- Fuck, let's just call it "Thing That Continues the Plot(Or Lack There Of)". Then; something something mildly retarded Adam and Eve analogy, and there we go. Oh and something about ancient astronauts but seriously I don't even give a shit any more. Some other stuff happened in the other two games too. If you know what please tell me I am scared that these games are so uninteresting that my brain has started to delete memories to spare itself.

The amount of times they try to go "HEY LOOK A HISTORICAL REFERENCE, WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE" makes me feel that these folks were REALLY trying too hard to be intelligent. Seriously the motherfucking puzzles are just old ancient paintings and glyphs, that's how bad they want to believe they are being intelligent. It's not, it's just jarring and cumbersome, it's literally the narrative equivalent of a child saying "LOOK AT ME MOMMY" while the mother drinks her regret away for bringing that bastard spawn into existence. Half of the "accuracies" in this game feel like and were probably a dude at a burger king browsing the Wikipedia page for historical conspiracies and the Renaissance. It's not even melded well to the plot, half of it IS just "HEY THIS GUY WAS A HISTORICAL FIGURE, LOOK!" awkwardly thrown in the middle of the story.

Now, now, calm the fuck down. Let me sidestep here by saying that Reviews(Or in this case, my two cents) are opinion pieces and you can like this "game" all you want. It's just that I would not want to meet you in person because I prefer staying awake during a conversation. Oh and you smell. Bad. Oh and please don't regard this as "oh it's just Mub trolling" because when I take the time to type something this long, it's usually serious.

I'd end this with a joke rating in bold letters to mock the entire idea of numerically rating something subjective, but it really it's not even worth a joke rating. Wait fuck does that count as one? Anyway, yeah fuck these games.
    I agree with most of this.

Marry me Mub.

You make some fair points, Mub, specifically about the gameplay, which is one of the main reasons I ended up disliking Revelations. Of course, I still enjoy the series as a whole, but I hope AC3 makes some big changes.

Revelations was awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Revelations was awful.
    How so? I thought you barely played it...

Quote Originally Posted by RAiDeN-209 View Post
    How so? I thought you barely played it...
    A direct result of it being awful.

New location was boring, new character models were hideous, bad/useless gameplay additions (grenades, tower defense), from what little of the story I got it was just more filler, still too easy, and horrible Desmond sequences.

I'll be getting AC3, but because it's an actual sequel and not a filler title, plus it's been in production for three years instead of one.

Diablo 3

EDIT: It's great, that's all you need to know.

Verdict: 1/1

Quote Originally Posted by hesit8 View Post
    Diablo 3

EDIT: It's great, that's all you need to know.

Verdict: 1/1
    One out of... one?

Quote Originally Posted by Pleiades View Post
    One out of... one?
    It's both the best and worst game of all time.

The entire story of Revelations was pretty much filler, which is pretty funny considering the name. I think the thing I enjoyed most about it is the music that plays on the main menu.

I did like Brotherhood though, and II remains one of my favourite games (mainly due to the large improvement over the original) and I'm overall interested in the AC universe, it's very open to explore other historic cultures and I think that's pretty cool. It's not a storytelling masterpiece but the concept is what keeps me buying them.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentLampshade View Post
    The entire story of Revelations was pretty much filler, which is pretty funny considering the name. I think the thing I enjoyed most about it is the music that plays on the main menu.

I did like Brotherhood though, and II remains one of my favourite games (mainly due to the large improvement over the original) and I'm overall interested in the AC universe, it's very open to explore other historic cultures and I think that's pretty cool. It's not a storytelling masterpiece but the concept is what keeps me buying them.
    Brotherhood was awesome and II is one of my favorites, as well. The original was good too but had a lot of problems.

The original wasn't good because it had a lot of problems.

Despite the original's many problems, I still feel like it's the only game in the series to really nail the "you're an assassin" feel. AC2 and onwards feel more like action games with the occasional stealthy moment. Thought it does make sense due to the fact that Ezio kind of learned as he went as opposed to Altair's years of training.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Despite the original's many problems, I still feel like it's the only game in the series to really nail the "you're an assassin" feel. AC2 and onwards feel more like action games with the occasional stealthy moment. Thought it does make sense due to the fact that Ezio kind of learned as he went as opposed to Altair's years of training.
    Really? Outside of Revelation's parade of awfulness, the main thing I've always disliked about the AC series is that I never felt like an assassin, in the original or otherwise. The lack of any stealth mechanics whatsoever always seemed like a nonsensical exclusion. To think that most assassinations ended with Altair having to run away from mobs of guards makes him out to be a pretty terrible assassin, to be honest.